Do you have this problem?
If you really need giant sticky notes you can get them from the nice people at MegaSticky, but if you’re just looking to tidy up your desk and to save some planetary resources maybe software stickies are the answer.
There are lots of virtual sticky notes programs available, Microsoft Office includes a rather pitiful one as a part of Outlook. My note-taking is taken care of using Notepad++ (in conjunction with Dropbox) and Evernote, but I still find sticky notes useful. The one I use, and in my opinion easily the best for Windows users, is Stickies for Windows. It’s far better than the Outlook clunker.
It’s compatible with all versions of Windows, including 64-bit Vista and Windows 7. Get it from the clever folk at Zhorn Software right here.
If you use more than one computer you can synchronize your Stickies between them using Microsoft’s SyncToy or 2BrightSparks’ SyncBack; both free programs. If you use the outstanding—and also free—Dropbox you can use it to export and import the database, unfortunately I can’t yet figure out a way to move the database into Dropbox so that syncing is automatic. If you find a way please update us all with by commenting on this page.
If you like the program and intend to use it, please consider making a donation to Tom Revell at Zhorn Software using the Paypal button on his website.
Main features (shamelessly plagiarized from Zhorn Software’s website):
- Once on screen, stickies will remain where placed until closed, even through reboots
- Stickies appearance can be customised; fonts, colours and buttons may be changed, and styles saved. Stickies can be resized.
- Stickies can snap to each other and to the sides of the screen to keep them neatly lined up
- Stickies can be attached to a web site, document or folder so they only show when it’s on screen
- Stickies can be transferred from one machine to another either over a TCP/IP network connection, or by using an SMTP mail server or MAPI client:
- Hierarchical friends list, which may be automatically transferred from other friends
- Play a sound file on receive
- Signature for transmitted or emailed stickies
- Favourite friends, and custom lists can be made
- Stickies can be hidden for a certain period, until a specified date and time, or to wake every day, week or month, to act as reminders.
- Stickies can have alarms set to ensure you notice them at a point you choose
- Stickies can be transferred to and from your Palm or PPC PDA.
- International language and RTL text support
- Stickies works with Windows Vista
- Stickies is small and simple, it writes to a single text file, and does not alter the registry
- AD network administrators can use Group Policy to control settings
- API to allow integration with other applications
- …and Stickies is completely free!